Re: Soundmodem problem

On Sat, 08/27/2005, 04:11PM, gena-j@ntlworld.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wondered if anyone could suggest what it is I'm doing wrong.  I used
> soundmodem a few months ago without any problem.  On my sid system which
> is regularly updated.  I note from the changelog.Debian.gz file that
> soundmodem has been updated but not sure if that's related or something
> this end.  Here's my error:
>
> soundmodem
> sm[7827]: ioctl: TIOCSETD: No such device (19)
> magnolia:/usr/share/doc/soundmodem#
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, the only person who really understands how soundmodem
works is the author, Thomas Sailer, and I have never "seen" him on any
mailing list.  Having said that, I have been using soundmodem from
source for quite a while without any problems so I did a cursory search
for TIOCSETD and found this:

/* set the line discipline */
if (ioctl(master, TIOCSETD, &disc) == -1)
        logerr(MLOG_FATAL, "ioctl: TIOCSETD");

ioctl() calls set kernel driver parameters.  I'm not sure what the
comment "set the line descipline" means but it seems to have something
to do with Linux virtual terminals.  If you find a document annotating
all the possibilities of Linux ioctl() calls, please send me copy.

73 de KE4QKT
Mark