Re: nec antenna modeling

Hello everybody,

I'm using nec2 with Linux and Windows. I'm very sorry for
telling that there is just one reason to use windows (for mine)
because there is a wounderful antenna-modeling software
called "4nec2". 4nec2 is free software and i'm very interested in
a Linux-Version - maybe if more requests appear, Arie Voers (the author)
may do it...

ANY antenna-file has to be writen in a more or less
input-deck, EZNEC does it and 4nec2, with 4nec2 there is just a
kind of "beginner-editor", called "geometry edit".
But there is no input for complicated nec-cards like CP (coupling),
SP-cards (surface-patch) and the new 4nec2-special SY-cards (optimizer).
By the way, these optimizer is one of the great advantages of 4nec2.

The Windows and Linux-nec2-files are a little bit different.
A windows deck looks like
LD      5       1       0       0       58000000
and a Linux deck should look like
LD 5, 1, 0, 0, 58000000

xnecview is able to show you the input and output-deck in Linux,
but cannot, in my opinion, show you near-fields (E/H) as good as 4nec2.
The xnecview near-fields visualisation is not very usefull.
Also there is no optimizer.
The one advantage of nec2 with Linux is, you can do a frequency-sweep
of your radiation-pattern in 3D or 2D (which 4nec2 is not able).
..Attention to the file-size: They will sometimes get some 100mb s!!

Furthermore there is a Linux-GUI called antennavis (mentioned above).
I have tried to install this B*.* but i had no success.
If anyone will get this working, please tell me how you get rid of this
errors.... - i think there is a problem with togl, but my
programming-knowledge is not good enough.

If you google for dj9yj, you will find my small nec2-antenna-collection
(sorry, most in german), but most of the files are in windows-format.
If your dad has problems with writing this nec-decks, tell me, i'll help.

kind regards,

Achim, dj9yj