Replacing Windows with Linux

Hi all

I have got ax25 working on a linux system and can make connections from
the command line.  I want to replace as many windows functions as
possible with linux.

Currently the 2 main functions I use are:

1. uiview digipeating local traffic and gating all traffic heard onto
the internet.

2. Winpack automatically conecting to my nearest BBS via a local node
several times a day downloading my messages and bulletins.

I would like to integrate linux into these tasks my thoughts are to have
a PC running 24/7 in my loft with the radios attached and use my windows
PC to connect to it via my network.

I believe I can use APRSD to act as a server and connect to it with
UIView.  Anyone got any hints and tips for this?

Could I set up what would essentially be a BBS that would automatically
download my mail and bulletins and store them so that I could connect to
it using winpack.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Jon