Looking for C code reading /dev/dsp value

Hello all,

I want to measure the average amplitude value of an audio noise spectrum put
into the sound card of a laptop (I need it for automatic noise bridge project
to be built into tlf) . Could someone point me to some SIMPLE C-code which
does nothing but read one actual value from /dev/dsp? Is there a register or
memory location I could read? I am no hardware expert, and I don't have time
to become one :)

73,

Rein PA0R
--