IRC newbie question?

I just started using IRC (Mirc) and am having trouble finding a channel
where hams congregate.  Every type of trouble imaginable, from /list
hamradio not showing any channels at all under Mirc to not getting /list to
work at all under Orion client.  Being new to IRC, I was hoping to find a
way to contact some hams, hoping I might find and Elmer to help me out.
Then I cannot even find a ham channel.

I tried a message 'CQ' to the #beginner channel, using my call (K9IF) as my
nickname, hoping I might flush out a ham, but no response.  I need to find a
'ham' channel.  'hamradio' is one I've often seen mentioned, but can't list
it.  Will try joining #hamradio and see if that works, now (11/9/03 12:38 PM
CST  US)..........   And the result was forming a new channel of 1.  Will
leave it sit with a cq cq cq message outstanding.......

I know this is an unusual request, but anything you can say to help me find
the ham channels would be greatly appreciated.  Newness to IRC just seems to
confound the matter for me.   You are a contact I found on the web,
connected with IRC, so I'm trying you as a last resort.  Like I say,
anything you can say to help me would be greatly appreciated.

73 de K9IF  TX