Re: Announce: new EchoLink Howto

* John Mock <kd6pag@qsl.net> [2003 Sep 23 16:34 -0500]:
> > Due there is only a version for the Windows operating system you have to make
> > the Windows binary runder under Linux if you prefer this plattform.
>
> I'm not troubled that it's a non-RF application for amateurs to use.
>
> What bothers me about this discussion here is that it is a Windows-only/
> Intel-only program.  If source and/or protocol documentation is provided,
> then that would be a different story.

Bingo, John!

It is the proprietary mindset that hams have when it comes to software
that I really object to.  In nearly every other facet of the hobby there
is openess and sharing of knowledge.  When it comes to software, the
authors of ham radio software have acted much like Apple (closed
software required to run some neat piece of hardware).

Ham Radio Community standards, protocols, and software should be open
and Free.  I applaud the ARRL for making their Trusted QSL library and
signing application platform independent.  The ARRL is moving in the
right direction and I hope many others will follow suit.

73, de Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and