Re: Announce: EchoLink Howto

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:40:20AM -0500, Tim Neu wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:27:56PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:20:16AM +0200, Michael Renner wrote:
> > > EchoLink is software which allows Amateur Radio stations to communicate with
> > > one another over the Internet, using voice-over-IP (VoIP) technology.
> >
> > Do you call this amateur 'radio'?
>
> Connecting Radio-based repeaters and VOIP networks together?
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^

A big part of EchoLink seems to be users talking to each other directly
on their PCs, with no radios at all. That is no different than simply
using SpeakFreely.

> Definately.  Take out the radio and what do you have.  Yahoo chat. Would
> anybody use Echolink if it were just like Yahoo Chat?  Not likely.

Really? That's all I've heard it used for.

I'm applying a fairly simple test here: if there's absolutely no RF
on amateur bands involved, how can it be amateur radio?

I'm not much of a fan of IRLP either. At least the end users are using
radio though, always. That's not true of EchoLink. I can understand that
people want to keep in touch with friends while the HF bands are closed
but don't call it amateur radio please.

Hamish