Re: Message from Rein

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:43:10PM +0200, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> On Monday 29 April 2002 09:59, Rein wrote:
> > > Support for the hamlib libraries. This will instantly give you access to
> > > almost every available rig. And you don't have to write your own drivers.
> >
> > I am willing to look into this.
> > At first sight I am missing interfaces for the rigs most used for contests,
> > e.g. FT1000MP, the 850 and the OMNI 6. Are they available?
> >

> It requires some-one to step forward and say to the hamlib developer: I want
> support for this or that rig. Then it is as simple as copying some code in
> the hamlib source tree. The next step would be testing of the rig with the
> available hamlib utility 'rigctl'. I have done it with the kenwood TS-870 and
> have contributed some patches myself to get it working. If yaesu supports the
> same command set across different rigs, there is a big chance FT1000 and 850
> work right-away. I don't know about OMNI. There is a tentec subdirectory, but
> I only see support for the RX320, which is a PC-controlled receiver.

I have taken a look at rigctl and it appears to still need quite a bit
of work.  Some of the functions in the man page do not work at all,
like 'rigctl --list' which supposedly gives a list of supported
radios, but instead returns "rigctl: unrecognized option --list'".
This is with version 1.1.2-5 in woody.  I haven't looked to see
if anything newer exists, but will do so.  I have a Kenwood TS-570D(G)
and the control functions are quite well documented in the manual.

> > When you write a program like tlf on your own, from scratch, for your own
> > use, you become very creative with regard to available resources. See it as
> > some kind of fast prototype (...) or bootstrap.
> > E.g. I was able to get the prototype partial call check up in less than
> > half an hour using grep...
> > I have many ideas how to do things better, but time is scarce (until now I
> > have had to work for a living).
> >

> I know what you mean. There are only 24 hours in one day.

Parkinson's law applies to us retired folks, as well.  As K7KI told me
several years ago, "I've been so busy since I retired that I don't know
how I ever had time to work."

Bob