Re: What shall we call it?

How about Deb-ham / Deb-amateur (on the lines of deb-med)

It _is_ a cut down Debian.  There's no reason, apart from memory why
you shouldn't take something like Gibraltar (runs entirely from CD,
can copy config to floppy), Demolinux or Knoppix - add _all_ the
ham programs and give it out as one disk fits all.

Alternatively, use 100M for a Zip disk style distro or 100M on CD
with a loop file system of some sort.

I have a 386 laptop with 4M, no CD and a mono screen. It runs Debian 2.0
base in 60M disk.  If you want a basis for a contest logger, it may be
best to start back there.  I have the same model with 8M (bought for
£20 rather than £999!) which might run something better but probably
not woody.  The Toshiba, with soundcard and 12M memory would probably
run woody badly. I don't have an external CDROM and only the Tosh has
PCMCIA so I'd need a boot floppy and PLIP to install but it would
be a _great_ use for hardware most people would throw away.

Just my 0.02 Euro / 2 cents

Andy

G0EVX