Re: Packaging CX and tlf...

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 09:23:34AM +0200, Jaime Robles wrote:
> El Monday 22 April 2002 21:27, Bob Nielsen escribi?:
>
> > Yes, I saw that.  I have emailed DK8LV of the Bavarian Contest Club (CX
> > developers) inviting them to join our discussions as well.
> I wrote DL6RAI (also CX and CLX  developer) and invited to join the list i
> hope he join us.
>
> > I ran into a few problems with CX, but finally configured both of these
> I have tried CX and TLF.. i like CX quite more than TLF as is quite the same
> as CT... and the "learning" cost is near 0 what is VERY important for a
> contester.

Possibly one who is more familiar with TR-LOG would say the same thing
in regards to TLF.  I personally have not used either.  I have used
QRPDUPE (Windows, free as in free beer) in a few contests, but it
really isn't for serious contesters, IMHO.

> The most important things (for me) are working quite well in CX... it is
> loggin ;-) , dupe checking, the MASTER.DTA support, CX2BIN and BIN2CX...
> I miss in CX a easy way to add contests rules to the program to check score...
> that is a REALLY important feature missing in CX. CX also has the "cx.hlp"...
> If i could choose i would choose CX with more CT features implemented, and the
> DXCluster working feature from tlf ;-) i liked it!
>
> > I'll take a look at the demo versions of TR-LOG and CT, to see what
> > they provide which might need to be added to TLF or CX.
> I can give some help with CT and CX the problem is the programming work... as
> my programmer's skills are quite poor :-(

As are mine (all my programming has been in Fortran and that was 30
years ago).  Since you are familiar with CT, I will concentrate on
TR-LOG/TLF.

> > On a related subject, I have been running the DX Spider cluster
> > software (http://www.dxcluster.org) for a while and it seems pretty
> > good (I considered CLX, but source code is not available).  A lot of
> > people are abandoning AK1A's PacketCluster, since it apparently isn't
> > very well supported any more and the current favorite (AR-Cluster) is
> > rather expensive.
> >
> > If nobody else is working on a Debian package of DX Spider, I will
> > attempt to do so.
> Good poit!
> DXSpider runs in a special way as i thing it needs some perl modules that are
> not in Debian... and DXSpider runs in /spider directory (you can make a link
> but the problem is the same).

Most of the required perl modules are already available in woody, but
not in potato.  There were one or two which were not, but I was able to
use dh-make-perl to automagically create packages for them.

> I am running DXSpider in http://smsdx.net for a DX to SMS system and we were
> running CLX before DXSpider... CLX has stopped the development and the
> developers don't give the code and it has been difficult for me to obtain a
> answer for the mails i sent for them... I am not sure they are still
> interested in the package...

There is also DXNET by F5MZN, but I haven't tried it.  It is free under
the GPL, but doesn't appear to have been updated recently.

73, Bob N7XY