net2kiss etc. and /etc/network/interfaces

Hello,

I'm moving my network initialization scripts from /etc/init.d/networking
to the "new" "standard" place for such things on Debian, namely
/etc/network/interfaces .
However, I run into problems with the extra programs that need to be
started for my packet-radio interfaces: net2kiss, kissattach and
slattach (although the latter is not ham-specific).

The obvious way to deal with them, would be to use 'pre-up' and 'up' lines
in /etc/network/interfaces ; e.g.:
  up net2kiss -i scc1 /dev/ptyr5 &
This works fine if I start the interfaces by typing the appropriate ifup
command by hand.

However, it does not work properly for starting them during system boot.
Analysis with strace shows that about 7 seconds after being started, the
program is sent a SIGHUP. I think these 7 seconds are the time that passes
until the boot process completes and the login prompt appears.
(Incidentally, also a SIGWINCH appears, presumably due to the start of
svgatextmode.)

Does anyone know how to properly start net2kiss, kissattach and slattach
from /etc/network/interfaces?

73, Pieter-Tjerk, PA3FWM
--
[ e-mail:       pa3fwm@amsat.org / ptdeboer@cs.utwente.nl ]