Re: xastir question

* Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> [020605 04:19]:
> On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 11:02:23PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > I'm an xastir, packet and APRS newbie.  I just installed xastir 1.1.  A
> > few quick questions.  Should the files in /usr/share/xastir really be
> > owned by root.root?  How can a regular user use the auto-mapping
> > features like this?
> >
> > An example: I chose Maps...Locate Map Feature... and typed in my home
> > town name.  It came back with errors.
>
> /usr should not be writable by normal users. (Actually, it's allowed
> to be mounted read-only, so even root can't write to it.)
>
> If the auto-mapping feature needs to write into /usr/share/xastir,
> it's buggy, so please file a bug report. The only places it could
> write are /var (it would need special permissions, and this could
> be a security hole), and $HOME.
>
> What was the error message you saw?

Thanks for replying Hamish.

Two small dialog boxes.  One has a title of Not Found! with window
contents of my home town name and an Close button.

The second has a title of "Can't open file" and the contents echoed the
contents of the GNIS File: field of the above dialog box.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>