Confusion about ax25 setup

Hi,

I apologise if this is off topic but as far as I can tell, this list is
now the same as the linux-hams one ?

I'm having problems getting a YAM modem up and running under Linux.  As
best I can work out, the problem I've now hit is just the same as when I
tried to get a Baycom and Sound modem setup going recently so it's
probably a PEBKAC* situation...

I configure the YAM device as follows;

bash-2.05a# setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
bash-2.05a# modprobe yam
bash-2.05a# yamcfg yam0 iobase 0x03f8 irq 4 bitrate 1200
bash-2.05a# ifconfig yam0 hw ax25 vk1yyz-1 up

On this last step the PWR led on the modem blinks then stays lit while the
firmware is downloaded.  I then get a functioning raw interface;

bash-2.05a# ifconfig yam0
yam0      Link encap:AMPR AX.25  HWaddr VK1YYZ-1
          UP RUNNING  MTU:256  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:4 Base address:0x3f8

The RX packets count increases when packets come in off air and the RX led
blinks as one would expect.  I conclude then that the actual interface
itself is OK.

I've editied my /etc/ax25/axports file to be:

#
radio    vk1yyz-1        1200    255     2       145.175 APRS Monitoring

Which if I understand correctly should link the port "radio" to the yam0
interface as they share the same callsign

If I now run (say) aprsmon it complains as follows:

bash-2.05a# aprsmon
axconfig: port radio not active
aprsmon: no AX.25 port data configured

...however it does actually spit data off air our to stdout

If I run other applications, aprsd, xastir etc. they all complain in a
similar fashion

bash-2.05a$ xastir
axconfig: port radio not active
ERROR: problem with axports file

I've seen comments about attaching interfaces using kissattach but as best
I can work out this only applies if you're using an external TNC.  In any
case I've tried it and it doesn't seem to like any of the following;

bash-2.05a# kissattach /dev/yam0 radio  44.1.1.1
kissattach: Cannot find serial device /dev/yam0, no such file or
directory. bash-2.05a# kissattach /dev/ttyS0 radio  44.1.1.1
tty_speed: tcgetattr: Input/output error

I've straced aprsmon and have confirmed it is succefully opening the
/etc/ax25/axports file.

...So I'm a bit stumped.  As I mentioned in the preamble I've arrived at a
similar point with both Baycom and Soundmodem devices so I think the fact
it's a YAM is irrelevant.

All of the above is on a 2.4.18 i386 kernel (actually a PIII Thinkpad),
Debian sid, ax25-apps-0.0.6-1, ax25-tools-0.0.8-2, ax25-xtools-0.0.8-2

Any comments/advise would be most welcome, hope I've provided sufficient
info.

Thanks and vy 73
Hugh
VK1YYZ

PEBKAC* - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Computer - Courtesy of Greg,
Userfriendly.org :)