Re: What shall we call it?

On Thursday 25 April 2002 02:05 pm, Geoff Blake wrote:
> > > Linux'
> > > Hiram seems to be associated with a lot of things, a
> > > search on Google returned
> > > 504,000 records. Why would you want to use 'Hiram'
> > > in the name? Something to
> > > do with Hiram Percy Maxim?
> > Exactly.  He was the founder of the ARRL and a very
> > important figure in the history of amateur radio.
> > > Wait a minute! Talking about historical figures and
> > > radio, what about names
> > > like Marconi, Maxwell or even Tesla?
> > None of them have anything to do with amateur radio,
> > although they all did contribute to developments in
> > radio.  Another good name would be Armstrong who was a
> > ham and responsible for the invention of many of the
> > circuits and technology used in radio.  (such as
> > regeneration, super-regeneration, the superhetrodyne
> > circuit, and FM modulation.)
>
> Well, Marconi has been frequently described as an amateur - the first
> radio amateur - whereas Hertz, Clarke, Maxwell, etc were all
> "professional" scientists/engineers.
>
> OTOH, given the current parlous position of the Marconi Company Plc.
> "Marconi" is not perhaps a wise choice of name. Anyway, ISTR that I
> read somewhere that it was the ubiquitos Russian "Popov" who invented
> radio and everything else :-)

I think it is important that we are touching two different and distinct
freedoms:  Freedom to talk (communicate wireless) and freedom to compute
(linux, bsd's, hurd).  I suggest we use a word that intimates something
amazing:  Freedom.

With this distro, if it culminates into a tangible bulk of code, is the
opportunity to give it away, for free, based on the notion that it is not a
crime to give excellent code away.

So, if we need to conjure a good name, perhaps we can include at least one
really important word for the label, "freedom," or "free."

Here is to freedom of choice.
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!