Re: digital packet in the car

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Jed Parsons wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> This is my first post to this list, and I'm very new to the ham radio
> scene (still not licensed, in fact :-)  So I apologize in advance for
> my newbiquity.
>
> My goal is to get a computer talking AX25 in my car.  This means I
> first have to install a computer in my car.  As I see it, there are
> two basic ways to go about this:

One very important thing to keep in mind is that moving parts don't like
being jostled. A standard hard drive won't put up with a speed bump too
long...

I think that a laptop hard drive is a bit more rugged (loosing performance
and density) but still isn't perfect.  On the paranoid/pesamistic side,
you can assume if a bump/swerve/turn is bad enough to make an audio cd
skip, thatthe hard drive head has crashed, causing physical damage to
drive.

Some choices are:

1. No hard drive -- Either boot from floppy and never read while moving,
or get a a flash-ram disk (expensive!), or embedded system

2. boot from hard drive, minimize access, and put it into 30second
idle-shutdown 'power-saving' mode.

3. don't have machine up while running

4. cheap drive that's backed up often, replace when dies