Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:31:54 +0100
From: "Leif Asbrink" <leif.asbrink@mbox300.swipnet.se>
To: <vushf@sk7do.te.hik.se>,
   "'VHF-DX-Discuss'" <vhf-dx-discuss@blacksheep.org>, <moon-net@nlsa.com>,
   <dsp-radio@qth.net>, <dsp-weak-signal@qth.net>, <ham-linux@qth.net>
Subject: [Ham-Linux] Linrad00-32

Hi,

Radio in software (SDR) opens several new possibillities to improve
reception over what is possible with conventional receivers.

Most SDR projects focus on the flexibility but my project linrad
is entirely focused on obtaining better reception than what has been
possible before.

Linrad  (LINux RADio) is a software package that runs on PC computers
under the Linux operating system. Linrad is open code, free for anyone
to use for any purpose. You can get linrad as source code only from
my site and it is (should be) easy to install under more or less any
Linux distribution that supplies device driver(s) for your sound
board(s).

To get an idea what linrad does differently from a conventional radio
(transceiver) have a look here:
http://nitehawk.com/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/blanker/leonids.htm or
http://www.g7rau.co.uk/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/blanker/leonids.htm

Linrad is still in an early development stage and the only mode
implemented is the weak CW mode which is optimised for EME
at 144MHz. Linrad is very flexible however and by opening up
bandwidths it becomes an excellent although conventional SSB
receiver. The SSB mode, some day (hopefully) will have special
features for SSB that will improve S/N and make tuning automatic.
In weak CW mode linrad provides AFC (automatic frequency
control) that allows very narrow filters to be used, coherent
processing, audio dynamic range expansion and in case an
X-yagi system is used, adaptive polarisation. All these features
add up and make linrad a very good tool for 144MHz EME.
Could be very useful on 160 meters too but I have no experience
myself in the low bands so I can not really tell.

Before introducing new features into linrad I would love to have it
well debugged and also tested with the latest Linux distributions.
Documentation is still fragmentary and I expect many user mistakes.
This is intentional. Any user error, caused by a misunderstanding or
just by mistake should lead to a reasonable response with a sensible
error message. I am sure there are things one can do that I did not
think about and I am very interested in reports of any response
from linrad that you find peculiar in case you have time to install
linrad00-32 and experiment with it.

Get linrad at:
http://nitehawk.com/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/linrad.htm or
http://www.g7rau.co.uk/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/linrad.htm

I am fully aware that the need for installing Linux makes linrad
unattractive to many potential users. Ideally a small Linux distribution
that only contains the parts of Linux actually used should be
available as a file that could be started from Windows or MSDOS.
I do not know enough of Linux to know how to do this but if you
have knowledge and interest in making linrad easily started on a
normal Windows system I would be very interested.

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ

---
Submissions ham-linux@qth.net

----- End forwarded message -----

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and