FNS, lintian and /var/ax25

Hi all,
This list is quiet, and this seems a relevant topic.

I've recently been prompted to address some problems with the node
package. In doing so I've come across a small problem that I seek
guidance on.

The node program formerly used /var/ax25/node/ to store some shared
state (logged in users).

In re-packaging I've discovered that lintian is offended by this on the
basis that it violates an FHS principle regarding applications creating
directories directly in /var/

The approach that I've decided to take, that seems reasonable, is to
move /var/ax25 to /var/lib/ax25/.

node won't be alone in being impacted by this change though.
The ax25-apps tools package will need the same change for mheardd for
example.

Are there any strong opinions on the best approach to take?

regards
Terry

--
Radio Free Penguin: http://radio.linux.org.au/