Re: digital packet in the car

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 02:28 pm, Jed Parsons wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> This is my first post to this list, and I'm very new to the ham radio
> scene (still not licensed, in fact :-)  So I apologize in advance for
> my newbiquity.
>
> My goal is to get a computer talking AX25 in my car.  This means I
> first have to install a computer in my car.  As I see it, there are
> two basic ways to go about this:
>
>  1. Use a 300W inverter.  This sounds like a real waste, going from DC
>     to AC and back to DC again.
>
>  2. Run 3.3 and 5 V DC directly into the motherboard, hard drive,
>     etc.  This will require regulators and a good filter.  This sounds
>     risky, but way cool.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice about this?
>
> Ultimately, I'll want the radio running as well.  Are there
> car-mounted radios, or am I looking at an inverter for that?
>
> (And is this all going to be too much for my sole car battery?  Should
> I be thinking additional battery and batery isolator?)
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help, and any pointers to inf
> ormation.
> I still have so many questions...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jed

    Jed:

You will need more than just 5V for your mobile computer.  The good news is
that you can actually BUY a dc power supply for your box.  I would assume you
are looking for something basic pentiumish.  Do a search for DC computer
power supplies and find the retailers site for more info.  I had the link
book marked at one time, but I just looked and it's gone.

Next, you can snag very inexpensive laptops that can be ideal for mobile use.
 Good pentium quality laptops can be found with warrenty for less than $300
from IBM.  Surely there are even better deals than that if you look around.
Nice thing about a laptop is that it includes a screen, and can typically be
easily adapted for 12v vehicle operations.

Sounds exciting though!

Have fun.   73 and tatah

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.