Re: 900 mhz "radio" != "cell-phone" ?

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 12:20:58PM -0400, Dennis Boone wrote:
> services and the ISM devices like the Metricom units.  A ham could
> probably legally modify the Metricom units to put out more power,
> and use higher-gain antennas, as long as the over-the-air protocols
> and modulation techniques are public specifications.

However, the modified unit (operating under part 97) presumably wouldn't
be allowed to communicate with non-ham (part 15) users then, so you couldn't
continue to use Ricochet.

Similarly in Australia we have "low interference potential devices" (LIPDs)
licensed on a few channels at around 439 MHz where our repeaters are.
LIPD users are operating in a different service than the amateurs,
so they're not allowed to talk to each other.

The TAPR spread spectrum list has talked about Metricom a bit later;
sounds like Ricochet is pretty much hogging the whole band.
http://www.tapr.org/ss for more info on the list.

Hamish