debian kernel source query

I'm sorry this is off topic, but while trying to build up a new ax25 system
recently I got to the stage where you have to rebuild the kernel to support
AX.25 and radio networking etc.

So I installed the kernel-source package on offer (2.0.36) on the 2.1r3 discs
I have and was puzzled that the source hadn't been unpacked after dselect had
finished.

All I have is the tar.gz file in /usr/src!

Something seems to have changed between 2.0.34 and 2.0.35 in this respect.

I assume I can just finish the job by hand and un-tar the tree into place and
make the symlink "linux" to point to my new tree but surely something is
missing?

TIA,
Steve Platt