Re: rtty for linux (any spanish speaking hams?)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:26:26 Dennis Boone wrote:
> I've just received a response from Jesús Arias about the license for
> his RTTY program.
>
> I've appended the whole message below.  Translated, it says:
>
>     For my part, I don't have any problem making the program
> 	public domain.  In fact, it already is, since the source code
> 	is available.
>
> 	Greetings, and forgive the slow response; I was on vacation.
>
> Is the mail message good enough for Debian purposes?  Anyone actually
> get it to work yet?

Well. Just saying you that you will make the program public domain is not good

enough, I guess. The software actually has to contain some kind of license.
Just a on-liner saying: 'this program is in the public domain' in the readme,
would be good enough.

But the software has too have some kind of value. If it does not work, there
is
no need in putting effort into it. I will ask around on the linux-hams mailing
list. Until now I have had one report of Ted Williams (WA0EIR) that he could
not
see decoded signals. I have had the same experience. Another ham from spain
told me
he would try it out, but I have not heard from him yet.

I will go on a 3 week holiday in a few days. When I am back I would really
like
to put some work into it. One thing that bothers me is that the software is
linked
with the xforms library. This would mean that the package would end up in the
contrib
sesction of debian. I might put some work into a GTK port of the program, if
it
is do-able.

> Cheers,
>
> De