[roger@peaksys.co.uk: [ui-view] APRServe - Please Read!]

Well, this changes things somewhat!

Hamish

----- Forwarded message from Roger Barker <roger@peaksys.co.uk> -----

To: ui-view@egroups.com
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:20:58 +0100
From: Roger Barker <roger@peaksys.co.uk>
Subject: [ui-view] APRServe - Please Read!

Steve Dimse, K4HG, has changed his policy with regard to APRServe
validation numbers. He has posted the algorithm for generating the
numbers to the TAPR APRSSIG list, and therefore effectively put it in
the public domain.

This has two implications:-

1. You no longer need to ask Steve for an APRServe validation number. I
can issue you with one, and I'm sure there'll soon be other sources
where you can obtain them.

2. Most IGATE software will only gate internet traffic to RF if the
station that fed the traffic to APRServe has a validation number. In the
past this has offered a degree of protection against traffic originating
from non-ham sources being gated to RF, provided that no-one made it
easy for non-ham users to obtain validation numbers. From now on it
offers no protection, because anyone can easily obtain a validation
number.

So, when a callsign like B1GN0B pops out of your IGATE, sending message
containing obscenities to one of your local APRS users, don't say I
didn't warn you!

--
Roger Barker, G4IDE - roger@peaksys.co.uk
For UI-View go to - http://www.packetradio.org.uk