Re: AX.25 & drivers in the standard kernel package

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 07:52:33AM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> I'm probably well in the minority here, but I'm not a big fan of modules
> and only use them when absolutely necessary.
>
> Besides, real Linuxers compile their own custom kernels (with
> make-kpkg, of course).

True, but we want to make it as painless as possible. I'd like to
get more hams using Linux (I find it a pretty nice environment for
ham stuff), but I don't want to have to explain how to recompile the
kernel just to get their TNC working.

Re: modules -- interesting. I only use built-in drivers when
absolutely necessary ;-) I prefer everything else to be modular.
No real reason, I just find it to be a neater solution. It also lets
me compile drivers for hardware which I might add in the future, eg
both ne2000 and ne2k-pci drivers. And it lets me switch between
soundmodem and the sound drivers.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).