Re: directory to store TLE files

On Feb 17, 2004, at 2:50 PM, Rafael Skodlar wrote:

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:33:57PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:

On Feb 17, 2004, at 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Austen wrote:

Good idea. However since /usr is supposed to contain read-only data
how can the TLE be updated (except by root)? It seems like /var might
be better but there is no place under /var that really fits this type
of data. The closest thing I see is /var/lib but that is not a great
match to this type of data.

Just going by what I see in other packaged software, it appears that
mysql and postgresql use /var/lib also.  If that's not correct, then
two very large database packages are wrong.  ;-)

It depends on your definition of wrong but it's very likely they are
wrong.

<snipped long discussion about the use of /var/lib>

I only used it as an example of where things are today. Discussion about moving those applications should be taken up on debian-devel. And probably has been before. Have fun.

IANAD.  (I am not a developer.)  I am just an observer, in this case.

Meanwhile, "When in Rome..."

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com - WY0X