GNOME Shell 46

Updating GNOME Shell in Unstable is still waiting on magpie to be
accepted into Debian. The Budgie desktop has created magpie as a fork
of mutter 43. Once magpie is available, we can update GNOME Shell and
Mutter without needing Budgie to be ported to the new Mutter first.

GNOME 46 will be released on Wednesday.

The list of people who can accept magpie into Debian is small and I
have no estimate how long its review will take. I figure we might as
well skip 45 at this point and start working on getting GNOME Shell 46
ready. I want to push Mutter and GNOME Shell 46 to Experimental now.

This does mean we basically start over with updating extensions to the
new release. Fortunately, 46 was not as disruptive as 45 but
extensions will need to at least bump their supported versions. Other
changes may be needed too:
https://gjs.guide/extensions/upgrading/gnome-shell-46.html

Although GNOME Shell 46.0 is not yet as stable as GNOME Shell 45.4,
both Fedora 40 and Ubuntu 24.04 LTS are expected to ship 46.0 in their
initial stable releases soon.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bícha