Re: mutest package

On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 at 11:48:17 +0700, Arnaud Rebillout wrote:
> I'd like to package mutest for Debian. Is the GNOME packaging team
> interested in this package, can I maintain it with the team?

graphene already uses a bundled copy of mutest, so it would seem
appropriate to maintain the unbundled version in the GNOME team too.

However, at the moment mutest is explicitly not stable:

    **WARNING**: µTest's API is still in flux!

so I don't think it would be appropriate for packages like Graphene
to use a system copy at this stage. The documentation says:

    The preferred way to use µTest is to include it in your own projects
    using a Git sub-module, and then building µTest as a static library.

which I think meets the "unless the included package is explicitly
intended to be used in this way" criterion in Policy §4.13.

> I already have the packaging files ready (not pushed anywhere yet), I'd
> need someone to review it. And I need a sponsor as I'm DM not DD.

I'll try to review this at some point. Hopefully it'll be very similar
to the copy bundled in graphene.

I don't think this should be in unstable at the moment, but it could
go to experimental, alongside other specifically-not-stable projects
like gtk+4.0.

> What's the preferred way, should I go through the Debian mentors page,
> or simply using Salsa is enough?

I would personally prefer Salsa.

> - I asked for access to the gnome team on salsa, my user is `arnaudr-guest`

Someone on the Owners list will have to do this; but if nobody gets round
to it, I can create an empty mutest project and give you access to it,
and you can work that way?

    smcv