gtk_show_uri() broken without desktop-file-utils?

Hello,

david@Miho:~$ gnome-open http://www.debian.org
Error showing url: No application is registered as handling this file
david@Miho:~$ su
Password:
Miho:/home/david# apt-get install desktop-file-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  desktop-file-utils
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/94.0 kB of archives.
After this operation, 248 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package desktop-file-utils.
(Reading database ... 273823 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking desktop-file-utils (from .../desktop-file-utils_0.20-0.1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up desktop-file-utils (0.20-0.1) ...
Miho:/home/david# exit
exit
david@Miho:~$ gnome-open http://www.debian.org
david@Miho:~$

Then now it works.

I've got a bug in the package "liferea" (http://bugs.debian.org/666145) that seems to be caused by not being able to launch the default gnome web browser unless desktop-file-utils is installed. Even if the user has properly configured a default gnome web browser, it still won't work unless desktop-file-utils is installed.

More specifically, it seems that gtk_show_uri() library call, and similarly, gnome-open in (libgnome2-0) seems to be broken without desktop-file-utils installed.

Question #1: Package "liferea" has gnome web browser called via gtk_show_uri() set as the default web browser, as such, should this package recommend desktop-file-utils as it seems to be required for this to work?

Question #2: Should I instead be using gnome-www-browser (http://wiki.debian.org/HOWTO/DefaultWebBrowser) as the default browser, which appears to work without desktop-file-utils?

Queston #3: Assuming the application default web browser fails for any reason, is it reasonable to fall back automatically to x-www-browser in the application's code or is it better to have the user to go into the application's browser preferences and choose x-www-browser so that it's clear what browser the application is using? I'm asking because I want to know what would typically be the best way to handle this in a gtk/gnome application that's often installed with and without a gnome desktop environment..

Thanks for your time.

-David Smith