Re: glade3 and gtk2

On 30.01.2012 17:22, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Bastian Venthur wrote:
>
>> thanks for your reply! Unfortunately moving away from gtk2 is not an
>> option, as matplotlib does it not support yet.
>
> Eventually gtk2 will be removed as gtk1 was, so you might want to work
> on or ask matplotlib upstream about switching.

Matplotlib already has a gtk3 backend in the upstream repository, but
they haven't released a new upstream version so it's probably not coming
to unstable anytime soon. So useres will have to live with gtk2 for a
while when using gtk and scipy.

>> What do you mean by saying I should use GtkBuilder? glade 3.10.2 from
>> unstable still produces .glade files by default. Is there a way to
>> explicitly tell it to produce something else? Or should I use a
>> different tool? I'm probably missing something.
>
> The glade xml format (and libglade) is obsoleted by the GtkBuilder
> format, which is supported by GTK+ natively instead of needing the
> external libglade library.
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/stable/GtkBuilder.html
>
> When you save the file in Glade, there is the option of using GtkBuilder.

Are you sure that's possible? There is no option for that in glade's
"properties" dialog. And saving a file always produces .glade files,
even when saving the file as .ui -- the contents will be exactly the
same as the .glade file. I'm using glade 3.10.2 from unstable.

Thanks for your help!

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org