Get Empathy sounds working

Hi!

How can I get Empathy sounds working?
On my installation, I don't get a sound notification when I receive a new message in Empathy. Maybe this is a general issue with sound notifications on my system, as I don't get any notifications except from the login sound (but maybe they are simply turned off).

When I go to Settings/Audio/Sound Effects, all effects are grayed out.

However, I don't care for the other sound effects too much - it's just annoying in empathy.

I have Debian Wheezy x64 running on a Thinkpad T400. I use Gnome 3.
Empathy version is 3.2.2, gnome-shell version is 3.2.1

My user is member of the group audio. The following packages are installed (list is not complete of course)

* freedesktop-sound-theme
* gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
* pulseaudio
* libcanberra-gtk-module