Re: GNOME 2.26

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:09:41PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Let me also add that #517768 is a blocker for large parts of GNOME 2.26
> and that we will be able to go forth only when it is fixed.
>
> If you want to help, start by reproducing this (MIME cache version 1.0
> in your home, version 1.1 in the system, using nautilus 2.26) and try to
> understand why the 1.0 cache is not simply ignored by the xdgmime code
> in glib2.0.

I don't use nautilus; is there a simpler test case? My limited testing
suggests that mime.cache _is_ ignored by glib when it is v1.0, but in
this case glib reads other files in the mime directory (aliases, globs,
etc.). If there is a v1.1 mime.cache, then those files are _not_ read.

If there is incorrect data in those files that may explain the bug, but
it does not explain why things start working if someone removes
mime.cache; as far as glib is concerned, a missing mime.cache is the
same as an existing v1.0 mime.cache.

Now, if there is some other component in the system that silently
regenerates ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache if it is missing (during
login, for example), that could explain everything...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences