Re: New libthai and pango

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
<thep@linux.thai.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

>> However, thinking about it again, if you add symbol versions in libdatrie1,
>> this should work. Since pango doesn't actually use any symbols from
>> libdatrie, all required symbols will be required with a version, so the
>> correct ones will be selected.
>
> I suppose so. However, I've tried it and found no luck so far.
> For the experiment, I've used "-Wl,--version-script=libdatrie.map"
> LDFLAG instead of libtool -export-symbols flag, and list all
> currently exported symbols under DATRIE_0.2 { global: ...; };
> (with a "local: *" catch all in it, of course). Then I rebuilt both
> libdatrie and libthai.

> However, unstable pango still doesn't work. It crashes leafpad
> and gucharmap, but not gedit. And when checking process map,
> gedit doesn't care about LD_LIBRARY_PATH and only loads libthai
> from /usr/lib. But the other two do load it from /usr/local/lib, and crash.
>
> I must be missing something here. :-/

I have got a dirty hack: by adding symbol versioning to libdatrie0.
This solves the upgrading crash without breaking the current apps in
unstable. But I'm not sure if it's a good practice in terms of package
maintenance. Do you think doing so is considered ABI breakage?

Probably, adding Conflicts is the most suitable solution.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/