One True DPI

I'm trying to get to the bottom of DPI on the latest sid, I think
there may be a bug here.  In XF86Config I have set:

Option         "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
Option         "DPI" "44 x 44"

but Gnome will not respect that.  I changed the
/desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi gconf key to 44 and that's really
done wonders except it seems certain root processes are not aware of
the changes I've made in font settings.  The gdm login dialogs, the
terminal output in Synaptic Package Manager and the Log File Viewer
all have (for this 50" 1080 HDTV display) extremely tiny fonts.

Gnome's font settings do not allow me to go any lower than 50.  I know
44 DPI is very low for today's desktop monitors, but it makes for an
excellent big screen TV.  Shouldn't I be able to set this to 44 if
that's what my monitor has?

I have confirmed the setting in the NVIDIA settings app and with the
command `xrdb -query | grep dpi'.  Just for fun I created a new user,
at first everything looked great.  I checked Xft.dpi and it was set to
96, so I merged in 44 and did not notice a difference.  The query said
Xft.dpi was 44 so I logged in and out and found that Xft.dpi was now
set to 0.  I think that means gconf is using the X server setting.

Thanks for you time,
Pete