Re: xdg-user-dirs defaults

Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> Am Montag, den 24.09.2007, 14:01 +0200 schrieb David Weinehall:
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:46:33AM +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm currently looking at xdg-user-dirs[0] and we should probably get
>>> this into Debian now that many applications and libraries (including
>>> glib) have support for this. There's also a gtk "extension" that will
>>> add the xdg-user-dirs directories to the bookmarks (of the filechooser,
>>> etc).
>>>
>>> The question is now, which defaults we want for the different
>>> directories. The defaults are given below, all relative to $HOME:
>>>
>>> DESKTOP=Desktop
>>> DOWNLOAD=Download
>>> TEMPLATES=Templates
>>> PUBLICSHARE=Public
>>> DOCUMENTS=Documents
>>> MUSIC=Music
>>> PICTURES=Pictures
>>> VIDEOS=Videos
>>>
>>> The names of the directories are obviously translated into the user's
>>> language.
>> Translated in the dialogs or on disk?  If the latter, wth happens when
>> the user changes locale?
>
> It's translated on disk.
> Last time I tested it the behaviour wasn't that nice when changing the
> locale or setting other settings for those directories.
> The old ones were preserved of course but the new directory was empty as
> a new directory was created for it. Probably very confusing for users
> but what behaviour would you suggest for this case?

The one that says that it is not translated on disk. Another way
(provided that Documents in some language does not mean Pictures in
another) is to setup symbolic links to hidden dirs (with untranslated
names).

> Translation only in the dialogs won't give the desired results as this
> would require every application to have the translations for this, etc.

On the contrary, I think this way is better. Since anyway only widgets
are meant to be used in human interaction, only libs have to deal with
printing these translated.

Mac OSX uses this, putting an empty .localized file in the translated
directories (eg has a Desktop directory, and displays Bureau). Only in
the Terminal does one have to use "Desktop".

Was this debated on the freedesktop lists ?