Re: Merging between unstable and experimental; changelog handling

Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> writes:
>  I don't want changelog entries to be lost as they represent actual
>  uploads; hence, in the past, I've merged changelog entries between
>  experimental and unstable so that all experimental and unstable uploads
>  appear in the changelog of the latest version; this is sometimes weird
>  as it can shows two versions doing the same set of changes when we did
>  them separately.

Which I think is a problem. I believe that changelog entries should only
be merged when the related chages were merged. There is seldom more
development on a stable (ie, uploaded to unstable) branch of a package
than on the experimental version, so I think a useful way to handle
this problem is to merge all changes made to the unstable version into
the experimental version (and include the fitting changelog entries). If
a package is moved from experimental to unstable, it should be done with
svn mv [1].

I firmly believe that the changelog should only reflect development done
on the branch that is actually uploaded, and not contain what was done
to other branches. Remember, we do non-linear development, but
changelogs only provide a linear way to represent changes, so we should
document the actual line of development in the changelog of the package
that we are uploading.

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  We don't loose history at this point, as we have tagged the version
     uploaded to unstable!
--
Fachbegriffe der Informatik - Einfach erklärt
269: C