Re: Debian support for XDG_MENU_PREFIX under GNOME

Le lundi 04 décembre 2006 à 20:54 +0100, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> > That's the straightforward part. The hairy part is that
> > XDG_MENU_PREFIX must _NOT_ be applied to the applications-merged
> > directory. The rationale for this is that third party applications
> > should be able to install menu extension in applications-merged that
> > apply regardless of the desktop environment used. So far Debian
> > did/does not follow this part of the specification and used/uses
> > "gnome-appplications-merged" and "kde-applications-merged" instead of
> > "applications-merged". Kevin Krammer recently patched KDE 3.5.x to
> > correct this behavior for KDE under Debian. I was wondering whether
> > this problem has been addressed at the GNOME side as well?
>
> Indeed, as gnome-menus expands the menu name based on the patched name,
> it is reading gnome-applications-merged.menu.
>
> I'm all for patching gnome-menus (as well as gnome-panel and bug-buddy
> if necessary) to read applications-merged.menu instead of
> gnome-applications-merged.menu if this can help, but this will *not* be
> done with an environment variable.

I've committed all relevant changes (-menus, -panel, bug-buddy, eel2) to
our SVN.

The implementation is a bit hackish but it will avoid extraneous
conflicts: first, the library looks for gnome-applications.menu, and
falls back to applications.menu if the former doesn't exist. The merged
directory is applications-merged in both cases.

Cheers,
--
Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"