Re: GNOME 2.16 in Experimental

Le mercredi 29 novembre 2006 à 15:11 +0100, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> Le mercredi 29 novembre 2006 à 12:00 +0100, Jerome Warnier a écrit :
> > I'm particularly eager to see GNOME 2.16 released with Etch, if that's
> > still possible after all (officially, we are only a few days ahead,
> > right?).
>
> There is still a lot to do to have GNOME 2.16 mature enough for a stable
> release, and I still feel the decision to ship GNOME 2.14 was the right
> one. This is in no way an official statement from the GNOME team, but
> here is my view of the state of GNOME 2.16.
>       * GTK+: I've just received a patch for the most annoying bug
>         (missing icons in the file chooser). However I'm afraid the
>         filechooser API is still a nest for many other ones.
>       * Gnome-VFS: this one was moved to DBUS, which is an important
>         change, but I haven't noticed any regressions so far. However,
>         to benefit from the improvements nautilus needs to be updated as
>         well.
>       * Icon themes: the icon naming scheme was entirely switched to
>         Tango, but only for the default theme. Which means there is a
>         lot to do to have other working icon themes. Help to migrate
>         especially Gorilla, Gartoon and Nuvola is welcome.
>       * gnome-themes: several themes have been removed without a clean
>         upgrade path. This one is probably the matter of a few symbolic
>         links.
>       * evince: needs more testing. I noticed some issues with djvu
>         support, but this may be bearable, or we could deactivate it. It
>         also needs libpoppler1 which affects TeX as well.
>       * control-center: this one is rumoured to be horribly buggy. I can
>         tell at least that the gswitchit code doesn't work *at all*.
>         Even given enough delay for the rest of the work (which is
>         unlikely), I'm not sure this one (and gnome-session which is
>         entangled with it) could make it, and I don't know whether it
>         will make it to unstable before 2.18.
>       * Many packages depend on either GTK+, gnome-icon-theme, gnome-vfs
>         or all of them, this is what is blocking most of them.

Glad to read all this. Such a summary is really interesting from time to
time to keep people informed.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not insisting to have GNOME 2.16 in Etch at all
prices, but seing the improvements that the current experimental
packages did bring to my machines, it would be great if at all possible,
while still keeping the Debian quality level high.

One more thing: it seems that GNOME 2.18 is building automatically fine
under jhbuild. See http://jhbuild.bxlug.be. (UPDATE: gstreamer seems to
be unfetchable, so its dependencies fail too)

Thanks again.
--
Jérôme Warnier
FLOSS Consultant