Re: Status of GNOME 2.14 in Debian

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 21:14 +0200, Heikki Henriksen wrote:
> man, 03,.04.2006 kl. 13.43 -0400, skrev Adam C Powell IV:
> > Just one user's perspective: I would EXTREMELY HIGHLY recommend putting
> > the new evolution in unstable as soon as possible!  Evolution in testing
> > is completely unusable, which left me (and probably thousands of other
> > testing users) without email since about last Thursday, which will
> > persist until gnome-vfs2 licensing issues are sorted out.  And unstable
> > has been completely usable for some weeks, as can be seen at:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2006-March/msg00148.html
>
> Versions which fixes both the issues in that mail, and those you are
> having, have been in unstable for over a week.
>
> There are 3 ways to get a usable evolution in testing, which are all
> documented in the related bugs at bugs.debian.org/evolution:

Thanks for the reply, and information.  It's a bit non-intuitive that an
old evolution will work with very new infrastructure, or rather, partial
new infrastructure, as is needing to look through bugs to run a piece of
software.  Again, I suppose that's part of running testing, but even
testing is supposed to have a "no RC bugs" filter... :-(

What this does *not* explain is why the process has been so completely
different this time from the last three GNOME upgrades.  Predictably, as
a result of the piecemeal change, unstable was unusable for some time,
now testing is unusable.  (What reason is there if not gnome-vfs2
licensing?  That's all that I can find in Bjorn's real testing excuses
page...)  Under the circumstances, mass filings of bugs requiring
extensive triage are entirely understandable.

So has the lesson been learned, and will the processes which worked for
2.8, 2.10 and 2.12 be followed in the future?  Or will we again invite
mayhem with this "new process"?

I'll look through bugs and see how I can help.

Regards,
-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html