Re: RFC: gnome-vfs -> bonobo symbol migration and indirect Depends/Build-Depends

Le vendredi 22 décembre 2006 à 15:53 +0100, Loïc Minier a écrit :
>  An example of the problem is gedit, which build-depends on gnome-vfs2
>  >= 2.16, and libgnomeui >= 2.16.  libgnomeui depends on libbonoboui >=
>  2.13, which depends on libbonobo >= 2.13.  But gnome-vfs2 2.16
>  conflicts with libbonobo < 2.15.

Which means APT will automatically install libbonobo 2.16 in this case.

Could you explain how this will exactly cause trouble?

>  I currently see two ways to transition to a simpler situation, but
>  other ways would be valuable of course:
>  1) transition each inter-dependency: bump up the rdeps on
>  libgnomevfs2-dev and libbonobo2-dev to transitionned version; for
>  example libbonoboui2-dev $someversion would depend on libbonobo2-dev >=
>  2.16, and libgnomeui-dev would depend on libbonoboui2-dev >=
>  $someversion
>  2) add dependencies or build-dependencies on lower level libs in high
>  level libs: gedit would build-depend on libbonobo2-dev >= 2.16
>
>  I don't like the second solution as it "leaks" low level libs deps to
>  higher level stuff, and I don't like the former solution because it
>  will bump a lot of inter-dependencies which are in the middle of the
>  stack and will cause a lot of work.

Solution 1 means introducing a complete madness in libraries, and soon
we won't know which dependency means what. Solution 2 is cleaner, but I
think we should avoid that if possible. If this is for setting up an
autobuilder for experimental packages or backports, this problem should
be dealt with by a clever enough autobuilding script. For example, for
building gnome-2.16 related packages, it could install all
build-depencies at the 2.16 version.

--
 .''`.