Re: Has the GTK+ file-chooser problem been fixed?

        Hi,

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Has the file-selector problem shown here:
> http://oskuro.net/blog/freesoftware/gnome-2.16-etch-2006-10-06-21-45
> been fixed yet? If not, how did Edgy deal with it?

 Yes and no.  The problem is not as simple as a code-level error; the
 issue was that the semantics of the usage of the new async API did not
 reach a consensus.  One of the point was whether the callback should be
 called when an early error happens, or not.
   This is very important because many applications will use the API,
 and will rely on these semantics, for example to free memory in all
 cases.

 The released 2.10 reflected a set of semantics which caused crashes,
 for which I think patches have been produced in other distros.

 There is a CVS branch where the alternate set of semantics is being
 developed.

 As I understand it, none of these two sets has been fully stabilized.

 At all rates, since Gtk 2.10 comes with a new module ABI, all of this
 is post-etch material.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>