how to find and setup printer for printing

I am trying to do some printing from a C program.

I have found an example of how to print using libgnomeprint and libgnomeprintui.

I don't want to use the standard printer dialog in libgnomeprintui, as I don't
what/need most of the controls it gives.  I just want to be able to control
which printer the print goes to.  But there doesn't seem to be any API that
will allow me to ether get a list of available printers or to set a printer
for the print to go to. :(

can anyone help please

Regards Neil.