Re: gnome-terminal strangeness

On Apr 05, 2006 at 14:04, Andreas Schmidt praised the llamas by saying:
> Hi, there,
>
> since updating gnome-terminal to 2.14, I have some issues with programs
> mutt, vi and less.
>
> The display of these programs is really messed up: they use only the
> upper half of the available screen to start with; mutt colors part of
> the screen; vi apparently inserts (for display only) random whitespace
> at the start of and between lines.
>
> The strange thing is that this behavior is inconsistent. Right now, I
> had several windows open, 2 with an ssh-connection to another machine
> (in both instances logged in as the same user), the others local. In
> one of the remote windows, a newly started mutt was displayed alright,
> in the other it was just as messed up as a locally opened mutt. Opening
> a new tab or su-ing from an exisiting didn't change anything; however,
> after closing and restarting gnome-terminal mutt & co behave normally.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong there?

Looking at the behaviour, it would appear that the terminal widget has
the wrong idea of it's size until it gets resized. You'll notice that it
will work fine on the first two tabs. The first tab works because it is
initially opened at 80x24 and then you maximise the window. The second
tab works because it creates the widget and then it adds the tab bar
which causes the widget to resize, setting the size. Any tab you open
after that does not get the right size until you resize it.

This is at least Debian bug #364993 and #361581. #364057 sounds like it
is related. It is certainly still a problem in gnome-terminal 2.14.1.

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com