Re: Status of GNOME 2.14 in Debian

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 03:59 +0200, Heikki Henriksen wrote:
> søn, 19,.03.2006 kl. 14.18 +0100, skrev Frederic Peters:
> > For those of us tracking GNOME 2.14 arrival in Debian, I made a
> > summary table;
> >   http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-2.14-status.html
>
> You can probably add the status for gtkhtml3.10 (source-package
> gtkthml3.8), evolution 2.6 and evolution-data-server 1.6 from
> pkg-evolution/branches/experimental on svn/alioth as well :)
>
> For the people interested: gtkhtml 3.10 is now in experimental, e-d-s
> 1.6.0 is in NEW on its way to experimental, while evolution 2.6.0 waits
> in svn for an upload to experimental (via NEW).
>
> We will wait to see how long before evolution 2.4.2.1-2 can move to
> testing, and how fast things go through NEW, before deciding on when the
> 2.14-series of evolution and friends will move from experimental to
> unstable.

Just one user's perspective: I would EXTREMELY HIGHLY recommend putting
the new evolution in unstable as soon as possible!  Evolution in testing
is completely unusable, which left me (and probably thousands of other
testing users) without email since about last Thursday, which will
persist until gnome-vfs2 licensing issues are sorted out.  And unstable
has been completely usable for some weeks, as can be seen at:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2006-March/msg00148.html

Because this is unacceptable for my functioning in society (job, etc.),
in desperation I grabbed the Ubuntu packages from launchpad.net (what's
launchpad.net?  Never heard of it, found it on Google, I really hope
they're not compromised, or my future .debs will be compromised...), and
went through a bit of manual .deb dependency hell the likes of which I
haven't seen since I left RedHat eight years ago.

And now apt doesn't work because Ubuntu's launchpad depends on python
(>= 2.4) which conflicts with numerous python packages.  And spam
filtering doesn't work, at startup I get "(evolution:26324):
e-utils-WARNING **: Plugin 'Spamassassin junk plugin' failed to load
hook 'org.gnome.evolution.mail.junk:1.0'" and even bogofilter doesn't do
anything.

Where exactly does one get packages in the NEW queue?  They're not in
incoming (why?), nor are they findable from alioth.debian.org, whose
project tree is filled with obscure and unhelpful "catagories" like
"Debian" and "Desktop Environment", then when drills down the relevant
categories evolution is not there, and it's not at all clear how to get
anything which *is* there (e.g. search for evolution: "This Project Has
Not Released Any Files", and the patches are useless on their own).

This brings up the question: why was this transition done piecemeal,
unlike the last >three GNOME transitions which went all into
experimental, then all unstable, then for the most part all testing?
That it's impossible to have a coherent system with *ANY* single
distribution (testing, unstable, or experimental until evolution gets
through the queue) is highly problematic.

I know, caveat emptor testingae, but I don't see why this transition was
done in such a fundamentally broken way relative to 2.8, 2.10 and 2.12.

Sorry about the flame, it's been an extremely frustrating few days.  Let
me know if/how I can help to resolve the situation.

-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html