CD playing under GNOME - disappointing

Hi,

I've not played a real audio CD on my PC for quite a long time (the
drawback of ogg/mp3 :-). Now I tried it under GNOME and I'm disappointed:

- gnome-cd produces only silence. When I press the "Play" button, the
  disk starts spinning loudly and the timer starts counting as it was
  playing, but no sound comes out. Also, when I change the CD drive in
  the preferences, it always says "No disk" even when the disk is
  already loaded. Pressing "Play" at least causes it to recognize the
  disk.
- totem plays the CD fine, but it spins the disk at a high speed thus
  causing quite an annoying noise.
- Same with mplayer, but mplayer tells it's actually extracting CDDA
  instead of telling the drive to just play the disk; that at least
  explains why the drive is so noisy. Maybe totem is doing the same?
  That would be unfortunate.

In contrast, the good old workbone plays the CD fine and the disk
also remains completely quiet during play.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences