Manual modification of %gconf-tree.xml

Hi,

I'm back, in 2006, with my Evolution problems ;-)
I have two different configurations on my notebook (one at home and the other at work).
Before the unification of %gconf, I dynamically changed the %gconf.xml of Evolution. Now, it's not possible any more.

I think about changing only a piece of %gconf-tree.xml (the one concerning mail configuration).
Do you think it is a good idea ?
Do you think I won't break anything else ?
Do you know with which tool I can do this ?

Thank you very much.

David.