Re: Goobox and CDDB

Am Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:30:19 +0100 schrieb Dan Korostelev:

> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 12:51 +0100, Adalbert Dawid wrote:
>
>> On my up-to-date Sarge system, goobox (0.7.1-1) does not recognize any
>> inserted CD. There is an according bug report (#290106) for goobox 0.6.0,
>> but it has been marked as resolved. Though, this issue is obviously not
>> resolved yet, as it still occurs no my Debian box.
>
> I maintain goobox debian package and I saw that bug, but it was closed
> by its submitter, who said that it's a problem with gnome-media's
> cddb-slave and not any player (he has the same problem with gnome-cd).
> And it works fine for me and my sponsor for this package, so I can't
> really reproduce it. Can you check if gnome-cd works with CDDB?

Well, gnome-cd works sometimes, but for most CDs (or 'reinsertions') it
does not work, as well as goobox. I did some investigation and found out
the following things:

1. Grip works best as to querying CDDB. Some CDs are not recognized
immediately, but when I wait some seconds and keep pressing the "query
CDDB" button I'm able to "persuade" it to work. (unfortunately there is no
such button in goobox nor in gnome-cd)

2. gnome-cd and goobox mostly do not work, but sometimes they do. It's
really weird...  I just did the following.
a) Remove the directories ~/.cddb and ~/.cddbslave
b) Insert a CD (Moloko - "Things to Make and Do") and start goobox -> it
does not recognize it.
c) Start gnome-cd -> it does not recognize it.
d) Start Grip -> it does not recognize the CD until I press the "CDDB
query" button. (Grip now saves the received information in a file under
~/.cddb; ~/.cddbslave is still empty)
e) Start goobox again -> et viola, suddenly goobox knows my CD! Now, there
is also an appropriate file in ~/.cddbslave, but it's not a copy of the
one in ~/.cddb. The commented-out headers of the files differ, the one
saying it was created by Grip 3.20, the other one by CDDBSlave2 2.8.0, and
so on. Now, also gnome-cd recognizes the disc correctly.

What is going on? Both Grip and cddb-slave2 are configured to query the
same CDDB server, namely freedb.freedb.org

3. OK, I try another CD: Beastie Boys - "Check your Head"
a) Neither gnome-cd nor goobox do recognize it.
b) Grip does.
c) Now, gnome-cd also recognizes it, but this time...
d) goobox doesn't...

*sigh* Until now I was believing, computers were deterministic ^^

I not even know, against which package to file a bug.
Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards
Adalbert