Re: Gnome session gets stuck

Le vendredi 02 septembre 2005 à 15:00 +0100, Sam Morris a écrit :
> Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > I'm using Sid (on 686) up-to-date.
> >
> > When I login (from GDM), the session takes a loooong time to get
> > somewhere, or does get completely stuck. It happens before the GNOME
> > splash screen, and I suspect it could be related to HAL/DBUS or esd.
> >
> > Any idea?
>
> This could be <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=297937>.
>
> Do you have any non-session aware programs like xset in your gnome
> session? They can cause the login to hang for ages at gnome-smproxy.
> Moving them to your .gnomerc file fixes the problem.
I don't remember setting such things myself. But the installation of
this machine is pretty old now (and it is a long time, several years,
that it is running Sid).

> You could also try chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-smproxy. I did this after the
> Gnome people announced that it would be removed from Gnome 2.12 for
> general unreliability, and it greatly increased the reliability of
> session restoration, and decreased the time it took to log in.

This does not seem to be the problem. I thought I pinpointed the problem
to be gnome-keyring. Sadly, it is not uninstallable, because
libgnome-keyring0 depends on it, and many packages depend on this one in
turn. I then chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon, without more
success.

If I look at the processes start time, I can see esd is starting 3
minutes(!) after a batch of gconf, gnome-session, and dbus. Then, it
again takes a long time. Then again 3 minutes later, bonobo,
gnome-smproxy and all the other gnome processes are started.

Thanks for your help.
--
Jérôme Warnier
FLOSS Consultant