Gnome registry corruption?

I have a problem that makes nearly every gnome application unusable. I
tried asking this on debian-user, but no one there could help.

I run sid. Shortly after sarge was released, my problem appeared. Galeon
dies whenever a try to save a file (but Mozilla works fine). Totem dies as
soon as I open any file (but xine can open the files just fine.) Nearly
every gnome app is disabled in some way, and no non-gnome apps are
affected. I assumed this was normal, temporary sid breakage but it has
persisted for weeks, so now I think it is corruption of some of my gnome
configuration file(s).

Here is, for example, what totem prints as it attempts to start:

** (totem:5907): WARNING **: Error in parse: Error on line 4488 char 10:
Document ended unexpectedly inside the close tag for element 'Groups'

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be and/or how I might solve it?
I have already deleted .gnome, .gnome2, .gconf and every other hidden .g*
directory in my home directory in an attempt to get gnome to re-generate
them.

(At the risk of planting my foot in my mouth: weren't people worried when
gnome introduced a registry system? And didn't the gnome people say "don't
worry, this is an XML registry, not a DB registry, so it will all be
okay". But can't an XML data file get corrupted just as well as a DB data
file?)