Gnome problem with sarge.

Hey there. I've had a certain problem with Gnome ever since I
installed sarge several months ago. Whenever I run Gnome (but *not*
any other environment) the environment starts up and an X cursor is
'stuck' in the middle of the screen. More specifically, the X11
x-shaped cursor. Until recently, it would go away if I clicked the
menu bar of any app. About a week or two ago, this stopped working.
I've googled a bit, and can't seem to find anybody with a similar
problem. I've tried to reinstall xfree86, gnome, etc. I've deleted all
the relevant config files in my homedir prior to reinstalling, too...
just in case i had some wonky configuration. No change. Any advice
would surely be appreciated.

Matthew