How to use nautilus-dbg and libgnomevfs-dbg

Hello list,

I experience repeated crashes of nautilus, making it almost unusable. I
can't find a common pattern triggering the crashes and googling was also
not successful. So I decided to try to debug it by installing the
nautilus-dbg and libgnomevfs2-0-dbg packages. But I just can't figure
out how to use them. I am at least basically familiar with GDB and the
relevant topics such as library handling, but I haven't yet used a
Debian -dbg package.

If I do a
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
and try to start nautilus, I get

$ /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/nautilus
Segmentation fault

Seems like I found the first bug already :-)

I also tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH in the central config
files in /etc and restarting X & gdm, but still the nautilus binary
in /usr/bin is executed.

Regards
Thomas
--