Notification area and session management

Dear all,

there is a number of apps which can be minimized to the notification-area,
e.g. rhythmbox, liferea, blam. However, some if not most of them seem to
be having issues with session management. On login, the app is restored as
window, not as a notification-area icon. Personally, I maintain a little
package which has the same issue (gtk-imonc). When I reported this to
upstream, they responded that the session manager was responsible of
taking care of this.

Can anyone shed a light on this issue? Who bears the final responsibility
for remembering and restoring the window/iconified state? I.e. who should
receive bug reports?

Thanks,

Johannes

--